The Health Committee for People with Disabilities (HCPD) is a consumer-led, cross-disabilities (physical, mental, behavioral, cognitive, sensory, developmental, cross-disabilities) group of advocates doing both self and systemic advocacy. We welcome family members, advocates, and community members to get involved.
We educate and advocate from the understanding that health and wellness involves access to affordable, quality care, participation in the foundations of our shared community, and equal opportunity to live fully and well.
The why that directs what we do:
• To provide an intentionally inclusive space for people with disabilities, family members, advocates, and community members to gather for a shared purpose in a welcoming environment
• To define and remove barriers to quality, affordable, and accessible health care for people with disabilities throughout life.
• To increase community-based resources and supports so that people with disabilities can live full, independent, and self-sufficient lives.
• To ensure the coordination of physical health and mental health care.
How we do that thing we do:
• Monthly meetings: We meet regularly once a month.
Allegheny County: The Allegheny County HPCD meets on the third Wednesday of every month from 4 pm – 5:30 pm at the Western Pennsylvania School for Blind Children located at 201 N. Bellefield Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.
Washington Country: In partnership with the ARC and Human Service of Washington County, we have a group of Washington Advocates that meets on the fourth Thursday of every month from 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm at the Chartiers Township Municipal Building, 2 Buccaneer Drive, Houston, PA 15342.
• Our meeting motto is: “We don’t meet unless we eat.”
• Every meeting includes an “Action and Advocacy” component.
Who does the work?
We all do. Our advocacy comes from a grassroots perspective where each one has a role to play and a shared responsibility. All are welcome! We believe a healthy community is all of us and are actively involved in building a community where there is room, resources and respect for all to fully participate, build, bear and be.