Health Committee for People with Disabilities
The Health Committee for People with Disabilities (HCPD) is a consumer-led, cross-disabilities (physical, mental, behavioral, cognitive, sensory, developmental, cross-disabilities) group of advocates doing both self and systemic advocacy. We welcome family members, advocates, and community members to get involved.
ALL ARE WELCOME!
Our Health Committee for People with Disabilities meets on the third Wednesday of every month from 3 pm – 4:30 pm at the ACCESS Office.
(650 Smithfield Street, Center City Tower, Downtown, 4th Floor).
We believe a healthy community is all of us and are actively involved in building a community where there is room, resources and respect for all to fully participate, build, bear and be.
For more info, contact Sally Jo: (412) 456-1877 x 203 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The “WHY” that directs what we do:
- To provide an intentionally inclusive space for people with disabilities, family members, advocates, and community members to gather for a shared purpose in a welcoming environment.
- To define and remove barriers to quality, affordable, and accessible health care for people with disabilities throughout life.
- To increase community-based resources and supports so that people with disabilities can live full, independent, and self-sufficient lives.
- To ensure the coordination of physical health and mental health care.
How we do “that thing we do:”
- Monthly meetings: we meet on the third Wednesday of every month in the Access office Downtown (address above). Our meeting motto is: “We don’t meet unless we eat.”
- Every meeting includes an “Action and Advocacy” component.
Who does the work?
- We all do. Our advocacy comes from a grassroots perspective where each one has a role to play and a shared responsibility.
- We have two workgroups that meet monthly: MVP (Most Valuable Player on your health team) and Budget Bunch.
To get more information or join a workgroup, contact Sally Jo: (412) 456-1877 x 203 or email@example.com